- This event has passed.
International Women’s Day 2018
March 10 @ 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm
In celebration of International Women’s Day, commemorated globally on the 8th of March, numerous organisations will partner to host a Solidarity Rally and Walk for Women’s Rights at the Queen’s Park Savannah (Opposite Whitehall) on Saturday 10th March, 2:00 – 5:30pm, under the theme “SPEAK YOUR TRUTH!” This year’s theme, empowers girls and women to fearlessly say what realities need to change so the nation and region will collectively commit to press for progress and advance social and economic rights which are yet to be guaranteed. Resources such as counselling services, legal advice, health services, and more will be available. The gathering space will be wheelchair accessible and the rally will include sign interpretation. If you have any specific needs
Here are details on how you can participate
1. Show up in your numbers.
2. Make and walk with your message on banners, placards, flags and/or shirts – speaking your truth.
3. Find/bring something to make noise while we walk. (drum, shak shak, tamborine, whistle).
4. Be ready to push off at 3:30pm but feel free to begin to gather and mingle from as early as 2:00 pm. (We aim to start on time and end by 5:30pm.)
5. Plan and walk with your own snacks and water in portable, reusable containers. (Zero Waste is our goal.)
Here are some ways you can support us leading up to the Rally
– Like our Facebook page International Women’s Day Trinidad and Tobago and our Instagram page iwdtt. Keep updated with events. Share the images and videos encouraging persons to participate on your social media pages.
– Record solidarity messages and post to your and our IWDTT social media pages. You can do written solidarity posts, but we would love it if you could do videos, group or individual ones. The videos must be short, 30 seconds give or take, sharing why IWD is important to you, you can talk around the issues or a specific issue that you or your organization is focused on. As you upload them, tag us in all posts.
Here are the hashtags we have been including to highlight the issues and in our promotion. These can be used for guidelines, you are free to highlight your own issue/cause and use your hashtag also, once you include some of the key ones like the #iwdtt2018 #speakyourtruth #pressforgenderjustice #pressforprogress #speakupforgenderjustice #cultureofconsent #solidarity #WomensRights